Blessed are the Meek for They Shall Inherit the Earth (Matthew 5:5; Psalm 37:5-11)
I. The blessing: blessed are the meek
A. Meekness defined: strength under control (Galatians 5:22-23; Colossians 3:12; James 1:19-21; Titus 3:2; 1 Peter 3:1-6)
B. Characteristics of the meek (Psalm 37:5-11)
1. Meek people are those who trust God (Psalm 37:5; Romans 8:31-39)
2. Meek people commit their way to the Lord (Psalm 37:5; 1 Peter 5:7)
3. Meek people rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him (Psalm 37:7; Exodus 14:13)
4. Meek people don’t fret over the wicked who prosper in their way (Psalm 37:7)
C. Biblical examples of meekness
1. Moses (Numbers 12:1-14)
2. Abraham (Genesis 13:8-9)
3. Jesus (Mattthew 11:28-30; Philippians 2:6-8; Isaiah 53:7)
II. The promise: they shall inherit the earth
Suggestions for Prayer: Thank God for the virtue of meekness, which He is producing in you by the power of His Spirit. Follow Christ’s example today so that meekness will mark your character.
For Further Study: Read the following passages, noting the responsibilities and blessings that accompany self-restraint: Proverbs 16:32; Ephesians 4:1-2; Colossians 3:12; and Titus 3:1-2.