The Legacy of Your Life
(2 Timothy 2:1-13)
I. Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. (2 Timothy 2:1; Ephesians 2:8-9; 6:10)
II. Entrust the truth to others who will entrust it to others also. (2 Timothy 2:2; Hebrews 2:1)
III. Endure hardship for the gospel now in view of future reward. (2 Timothy 2:3; Matthew 6:33; 16:24)
A. As soldiers we must focus on pleasing the Lord alone. (2 Timothy 2:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:9)
B. As athletes, we must play by the rules God lays down. (2 Timothy 2:5; 1 Timothy 4:7; 1 Corinthians 9:27)
C. As farmers, we must work with an eye to the future. (2 Timothy 2:6; Hebrews 6:10)
Three motivations to encourage us to endure hardship and to stand strong in the grace of Christ:
1. Remember who Jesus is and remember that He rose from the dead. (2 Timothy 2:8)
2. Remember those who suffer for the faith. (2 Timothy 2:9-10)
3. Remember your reward. (2 Timothy 2:11-13)
1. How will you be remembered?
2. In what areas do you need to be strengthened in grace?
3. Who are you entrusting the gospel to?
4. In what ways are you enduring hardships and what future reward are you anticipating?
5. Which metaphor do you most relate to at this time in your life (soldier, athlete, farmer)?