Blessed Are Those Who Are Persecuted (Matthew 5:10-12)
Matthew 5:10, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
I. What does it mean to be persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12; John 15:18-20)
II. A Christian’s response to persecution
A. We must commit to living a consistent Christian life. (Matthew 5:3-9)
B. We must defend what is right and oppose what is wrong. (Ephesians 4:15; Esther 4:14)
C. We must respond to opposition in a godly fashion. (Luke 6:28; Matthew 5:43-45)
1. Pray (Matthew 5:43-45)
2. Bless (Luke 6:28; Romans 12:14)
3. Endure (1 Peter 2:20)
IV. Receiving the blessing
1. Have you/do you pray for and advocate for persecuted Christians around the globe?
2. Do you pray for/bless those who oppose you?
3. Has following Christ caused you to be persecuted for your faith? Why or why not?
4. How have you defended the cause of Christ and the purity of the gospel?
Book: Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand
Video: Watch a 6 minute video with scenes from the move Tortured for Christ to inspire you to pray for the persecuted church here
PDF Booklet: World Watch List 2018 download here
Newsletter: The Voice of the Martyrs here
Action: Write an encouraging letter to or petition on behalf of specific persecuted Christians here